Join Our Team
Bookkeeper & Contracts Manager
The Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund is a nonprofit organization that nurtures the economic prosperity, ecological health, and social connectivity of people, businesses, organizations and communities in Vermont for the benefit and well-being of all who live here.
VSJF is hiring a Bookkeeper/Contracts Manager who will be responsible for a combination of bookkeeping (80%) and contracts management (20%). The Bookkeeper/Contracts Manager should have financial skills and experience, accounting knowledge, familiarity with financial software applications, and an active commitment to the values of the organization. The Bookkeeper/Contracts Manager will also be involved in a range of strategic planning and internal initiatives with the rest of the VSJF staff. The ideal candidate will have at least 1-3 years of nonprofit and/or for-profit bookkeeping or finance experience and Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or a related field.
This is an exempt, full-time position, reporting to the Finance Director. Salary will be commensurate with experience and available funding, within the range of $58,000-$63,000/year. Employee health and dental insurance, paid holidays and combined time off, plus up to 3% SIMPLE IRA retirement contribution. Specific work location is negotiable.
VSJF is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and a strong sense of belonging in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. VSJF makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organization needs at the time.
Reports to: Finance Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Office Location: Montpelier
Remote Option: Negotiable
SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTION
The Bookkeeping & Contracts Manager will be responsible for a combination of bookkeeping and contracts management for our non-profit sustainable development organization.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- General bookkeeping (AP, AR)
- Payroll and annual audit support, as needed
- Compile documentation for annual workers’ compensation audit and contractor 1099s
- Compile documentation for federal grant reimbursements and produce financial reports
Flexible Capital Fund – Fund Management Support Tasks
- General bookkeeping and month end closing
- Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable and liaison with loan servicing contractor
- Support annual distribution check process
- Administrative support related to investor relations, such as Schedule K-1 mailings to investors
Contract / Vendor Management
- Lead and manage all vendor contracts, client agreements and grantee agreements from start to finish
- Develop, maintain, adjust Standard Operating Procedures for finance related tasks to be followed by all staff
- Collaborate with VSJF staff to forward the organization’s work and mission
- Complete special financial projects, as assigned
Excellence in this Organization:
The Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund is a nonprofit organization that nurtures the economic prosperity, ecological health, and social connectivity of people, businesses, organizations and communities in Vermont for the benefit and well-being of all who live here. We work to create an organizational culture where people feel valued, are energized, have fun and can generate innovative and forward-thinking solutions to our shared challenges.
- Experience: 1-3 years of nonprofit and/or for-profit bookkeeping or finance experience
- Education: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or a related field
- Strong personal commitment to VSJF’s mission of creating economic growth that also enhances our physical environment and community health
- Financial Management software – Quickbooks and/or Oracle NetSuite experience preferred
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills
- Proficient data and file management skills
- Ability to creatively problem solve and adapt to changing circumstances
- Some knowledge of VSJF primary areas of focus (i.e., food system, forest products, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology economic sectors) is a plus
- Creative, with a good sense of humor
- Can-do attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Quick learner and thrives in a multi-task environment
Performs work in a climate-controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes, and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in the normal performance of job duties. Note, primary office location is negotiable but some amount of in-person, in-office time will be requested.
Work involves standing and walking for brief periods, bending, and filing, but performs most duties from a seated/standing position. There is potential for eyestrain from reading detailed materials and computer screens. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods, and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a high skill level.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note: This is not an all-encompassing statement of this position’s responsibilities. While it attempts to be comprehensive, new responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We encourage job seekers to visit the following websites:
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund. There are many services and websites in Vermont to help people find available jobs. Often, business trade associations, businesses, and organizations have job postings on their website. We wish you the best of luck in your job search.