The VSJF is seeking a dynamic Communications Manager to lead its communications and marketing plan forward.
The Communications Manager is responsible for executing VSJF’s communications and marketing strategies and for promoting, enhancing and protecting VSJF’s value proposition and brand reputation to ensure that the organization’s external communications are effective and coordinated. The Communications Manager will bring VSJF’s value proposition to priority audiences, provide overall outreach and communications support to program directors and will support VSJF’s strategic operating plan. This is an exempt, full-time, permanent position, reporting to the Executive Director.
- Promote, enhance, and protect brand reputation of VSJF
- Develop, implement and adjust (based on analytics and other tools) communications and marketing plan for VSJF and its specific programs and services
- Manage VSJF websites and social channels, including writing and editing content, taking photos and/or short video to be used online or in print
- Bring to the organization, and/or develop and cultivate relationships with media, sponsors, target market businesses, and organizational stakeholders
- Serve as the primary staff lead for monthly e-news, social media, press releases, annual reports and websites (with assistance from program staff)
- Increase audience engagement on VSJF social and owned media channels
- Coordinate and implement earned media opportunities and respond to media inquiries
- Pitch stories about VSJF and its programs and services to media outlets
- Ensure VSJF’s promotional materials and communications are visually effective and the content is compelling, accurate, timely and consistent with VSJF’s branding and value proposition.
- Support VSJF staff with their project based communications needs (e.g., outreach and PR for events; press relations)
- Develop shared media opportunities and collaborations with VSJF’s partners
- Collaborate with VSJF staff to forward the organization’s work and mission
- Represent VSJF at meetings and conferences, as needed
Core Competencies and Qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong social media skills including strategy development and implementation
- Strong connections with Vermont media representatives and clear demonstration of ability to secure earned and paid, media
- Strong WordPress, Adobe InDesign, photography and video creation skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Office such as PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills
- Proficient data and file management skills
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other measurement tools; ability to analyze data and make recommendations that improve target audience engagement.
- Proven success with both digital and traditional media outreach
- Ability to represent the organization effectively at meetings and conferences and at other public engagements
- Some knowledge of VSJF primary areas of focus (i.e., food system, forest products, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology economic sectors)
- Passionate about VSJF’s mission
- Creative, with a good sense of humor
- Detail oriented
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, based in the office
- Quick learner and thrives in a multi-task / content heavy environment
- Outgoing and personable
Position start date is flexible, but preferred by September 1, 2018. Salary will be commensurate with experience and available funding. Employee health and dental insurance, 25 days paid holidays and combined time off to start, plus up to 3% SIMPLE IRA retirement contribution after 1 year of employment.
The mission of the VSJF is to nurture the sustainable development of Vermont’s economy by providing business assistance, network development, research and financing in agriculture and food system, forest products, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology sectors. To learn more about the VSJF and its efforts to accelerate the development of Vermont’s green economy, visit www.vsjf.org.
VSJF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and writing sample to the Executive Director, Ellen Kahler, at email@example.com by 5pm on 7/31/18.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE